Thursday 7 September 2017

Late Home

By the time I get home they’ll be sleeping,
I wonder what they are doing now.
They are laughing with their mum, getting bigger,
Giving those hugs that complete me somehow.

Maybe they’ll get upset because I’m not there
And didn’t give them a kiss goodnight.
Did they wait up for a little while?
Did they want Daddy to hold them tight?

I’m trying to show them right from wrong
But I think they teach me more.
If I was half the person they think I am
Then I could do anything, I’m sure.

My boy has a heart of gold
And the world should live in his mind.
My girl is fierce and wonderful
And thoughtful and naughty and kind.

He started school this week with his uniform,
How do I keep him small?
She was looking for bees and scraped her knees
But was brave after her fall.

I wasn’t there.
By the time I get home they’ll be sleeping


No comments:

Post a Comment